1. Things are finally starting to slow down just a bit here. Last Thursday I attended the memorial for our friend's parents. I don't know how to explain it other than it was a relief to know that was the last trip of that kind. I know that sounds selfish and horrible, but damn. It has been so emotionally and physically exhausting. I can't imagine how J. and his family are holding up.
2. A. is being very conscientious of his friend and his grieving process. He is adamant that we be a support for him for many months to come. (I agree.) For next weekend, he planned a hiking trip with them. We will meet in the middle of the state; half the distance between us. We are also planning a trip to Billings in a month or so to visit. A. talks to him or chats online with him nearly every day. He is such a good friend, you guys.
3. Another story about what an awesome guy A. is: During one of our trips to visit J. and his dad in the hospital, A. suddenly pulled over on the highway, flipped a U-turn and headed back in the direction we came. I asked him what was going on. He pulled over and pointed.
An antelope (or pronghorn, if you are fussy) was stuck in a fence and was struggling to get out.
A. got out of the car. He told me he was going to go free the animal. He asked if I wanted to come with. I was kind of terrified, but decided yes, I did want to go with him. Just as we were getting out of the car, the antelope freed itself.
He just does stuff like this. You know. The right thing. The thoughtful thing. The generous thing.
You guys. HOLY COW, I LOVE THIS MAN.
Also, is is so freakin' hot.
Even if he has gotten into the habit of saying, "Shitty motherfuckers" every time he forgets something. (Wha?!)
4. I am trying to lose weight for the first time in my life. (I am not saying that to be smug or anything. I happened to have a kick ass metabolism that, well, doesn't kiss ass so much anymore.)
I am using SparkPeople to track my calories, nutrients, and exercise. It took a while to get going because I cook most things from scratch, and of course the food database is nearly all commercial (processed) products. I had to add in all the recipes I use. I routinely do the same kind of data entry for the cookbooks I produce at work, so it didn't take too long.
I ate like I normally do and tracked it, and was, shall we say, surprised, by how many calories I was accustomed to snarfing up every day. Enlightenment is humbling.
I don't really know what I am doing, I guess. I am trying to remain within 1,500 - 1,700 calories, get 5 full servings of fruits and veggies, and 25 grams of fiber. I am also trying to make sure that at least 30% of my calories come from protein. I am surprised by how little protein and how many carbs I eat. I thought I was more balanced than that, but no. I was also surprised by how much food you get to eat if you try to incorporate all that fruit and veg (as the Brits would say). Who knew!?
I have nothing to do with the "social" aspect of the site. The thought just annoys the shit out of me for whatever reason.
5. I finally get a weekend to myself to try and wrap up this damn thesis. Please don't ask how The Thesis is going. I am really sick of that question. Thanks!
Happy Friday to you!