Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Balance

Thank you for your words of encouragement. They have meant a lot and have helped keep me from spiraling into a worthless sea of self-pity.

Things have been looking -- balanced. I am really glad I didn't flip off The Universe. Hooray for good karma!

+++

I had a decidedly British-themed breakfast this morning. I found some British-style baked beans in the store last week and have been obnoxiously daydreaming about them every since.

I need to get out more.

I warmed up some of the beans and spread them over (homemade!) toast to accompany the tomato I roasted. Beans and toast! Roasted tomatoes for breakfast! I considered having a cup of PG tea as well, but decided against it. I really needed jet fuel coffee, instead.

I didn't enjoy the vast majority of food when I lived in England, but they know how to make a breakfast that will stick with you through the morning.

+++

A. and I picked up the truck last Friday afternoon. The mechanic was able to re-thread the problem section and we didn't need to replace the catalytic converter. Then, totally unprovoked, the mechanic offered to cover labor if we paid for the new oxygen sensor. That certainly sounded fair to me. Fair, and generous. The bill came in at one tenth of what we had anticipated. Thank goodness.

We have also managed to narrow the difference between what our insurance company will cover for the new roof and the actual cost to the point that I can eek this last project out. Whew.

I am ready to say "bye, bye!" to September.

+++

Over the weekend, I mentioned to A. how unfortunate it was that the set up of my organization makes it pretty much impossible to get promoted, or to really position myself for a decent raise. I've been feeling like I've hit a plateau, and I need to re-energize myself to get through the next year (We won't be looking for new jobs until May, when A. graduates.) My organization is housed within the university infrastructure, and it is ridiculously complicated to "move up."

+++

It took me three unsuccessful tries to spell "plateau" before I finally had to cheat and use Firefox's spelling suggestions. I am losing my touch.

+++

First thing Monday morning, my co-worker announced he took another position on campus. He doesn't necessarily want to leave our program, but the opportunities for advancement, promotions and raises are EXTREMELY limited, if they exist at all.He needs to do what is best for his family right now.

I am a bit panicked about having to cover his position (that he does SO WELL, by the way) until we hire someone to replace him, (who, I am already sure, won't be nearly as competent as he is), but mostly I am just really sad to see him go. I've never worked with anyone so generous and patient, competent and motivated and with such a fantastic sense of humor. He and I spend a great deal of our days together, and it will be difficult to say goodbye. But, I wish him only the best.

+++

I had 14 -- yes, 14 -- different print projects in production during the month of September. It was brutal.

I met every last deadline.

*fist pump in the air!*

Happy Wednesday to you!

7 comments:

  1. Go you for meeting all those deadlines! Also, it might be hard to get promoted, but can you at least get a raise for all the extra work you'll be doing to cover for your departing coworker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in England for part of my childhood and I LOVE beans on toast. Tell me, do you like Marmite?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with those workload changes. This is funny, coming from ME, the Queen Of Off-Balance, but try not to beat yourself up too bad on balance. It's so fluid and impossible to grasp. You have almost survived September! That's an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, i'm sorry to hear about your coworker. one thing i've definitely learned through several companies and jobs is that it's often the coworkers, more than the job, that makes a place tolerable.

    YAY beans on toast! oh lordy, i was never able to get into marmite, though. eeeek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you - this is also in response to Friday's post. It may not mean much, but I think you're doing a darn fine job of things: managing stress, money, balancing life, trying to keep your sense of self AND your sense of humor. Very difficult things to do by themselves, let alone TOGETHER. We make the choices that we do and we stick by them, or make changes as necessary. This is what we have to do to get through our days. There is never one magic (simple) answer, even though an outsider might see it that way. In the end, you do the best that you can. And you'll be stronger, braver, and far wiser because of the path you've tread. You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to be in a job with no possibility of advancement without moving out of the department. I'm there now, but I'm okay with that. I'm the "boss" here (big fish, little pond), which affords me a lot of freedom to shape my day and my work, if not my payscale. Moving up would put me as a smaller fish in a bigger pond with a little more pay, but much less freedom. With three kids, I need the freedom more than the money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that's great that you met all those deadlines! But I don't blame you for wanting September to end. Does not sound like a good month for you.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification. Spambots have found this little blog!