Friday, November 2, 2012

Friday Five

1. This morning has been very eventful and sad.

I walked out to my car this morning and smelled a skunk. Residual skunk smell in the early morning is not too unusual, but I still glanced around. I mean, you just do not ignore the smell of a skunk, you know?

Not 20 yards from my car there was a large (and who are we kidding - ADORABLE) fur ball of black and white.

Fantastic.

I carefully walked back to the house to warn A. not to let Belle out front. (She loves skunks.) He asked if the skunk was moving but I only noticed it lift its head. A skunk out in daylight that can hardly move. This isn't good news for anybody-- human, canine, or otherwise.

I looked ridiculous as I tiptoed to my car to make sure the little guy wasn't playing possum (ha!) and ambush me with its sure-to-be-rabid teeth. (Gaaaaah.) Nope. Still could hardly move. As I drove around our circular drive it tried to lift its tail at me, at which time I hauled ass in my little Civic. The skunk's tail was awkward and almost sideways. Something was clearly not right with this animal.

I called A. and he said he'd seen the skunk's behavior. As I continued to drive down the dirt road to the highway I saw a neighbors' two dogs running around. I hoped they wouldn't blaze over to our house.

2. My dear, sweet, sensitive A. had to start his day off by killing an animal in pain or the final throes of rabies. He loaded his shotgun, ended its life and came in the house, only to find Belle missing.

He looked everywhere. He thought maybe she got outside. Maybe he hallucinated and actually shot her, instead of the skunk. He was getting anxious, to say the least.

He finally found her, hiding under a bed at the farthest corner of the house. He is afraid she saw him kill and bury the animal and is now scared of him. Oh, my god. Our Belle, who isn't scared of a damn thing, is hiding. Maybe hiding from A. Oh, hell.

3. My heart is breaking for my little family, and for the poor skunk. What a shitty way to start the day.

4. I figured out that my favorite homemade drink, a Whiskey Sour, is 11 goddamn points in Weight Watchers. That is nearly half of my daily allowance.

Does anyone know how to make a simple syrup with fake sugar? I try to avoid the fake bullshit foods, but maybe I can make simple syrup that is half sugar and half cancer-causing fakeness. Maybe agave would work and be less points?

Suggestions, folks?

On the other side of this expensive drink issue - a fitness questions! What the hell can I do to burn off enough calories to fit in a couple of these a week?! Sprint lunges while carrying a 100-lb bar across my shoulders? What the hell. Aging sucks.

5. I've lost 20 pounds! I did not know I had 20 pounds to lose, not really. The weight crept up  over eight years or so and I still had the mental image of myself as a 25-year-old. I was always shocked by pictures of myself.  Apparently, I can be selective about reality, too, just like Fox News!

I look like myself again, and I feel great. My belly doesn't hurt and doesn't get in the way. My jawline is back! I am pleased. I have 5 more pounds to my "goal weight" but really, I am happy right now.

Happy Friday to you!


8 comments:

  1. Oh, what a difficult/sad start to the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you guys had to endure this ordeal. You did the right thing but that doesn't make it easier. Hopefully it was just the sound of the gun that scared Belle and she'll be over it soon.

    Congrats on 20 pounds lost! That's great. And I wouldn't have thought you had 20 pounds to lose, either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to say the same thing as Jess: could the gunshot noise have spooked her? How is she behaving toward A. now that some time has passed?

    Congrats on the 20 lbs.! That is awesome. I need to lose about 20 pounds myself in about 6 months, and I am trying to find a way to do so that doesn't make me want to hurt other people.

    By the way, I started Gone Girl last night and so far it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm sorry. That is a crappy way to start the day. On the plus side, surely it was the gun blast that scared Belle - so surely she'll get over it soon? She may not have realized that A. was capable of making such a huge sound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is SO UNFAIR that delicious alcohol is so calorie-y.

    (i found this suggestion online:

    Make simple syrup with honey which, though sugary, has some added benefits, like a healthy dose of antioxidants. It also gives you better control of the sugar content. Any recipe that calls for simple syrup will use the following recipe: ½ tablespoon honey mixed with ¾ tablespoon warm water.

    I'm not sure if that has any real impact on points though?)

    yay on the 20 lbs! that's awesome!

    so sorry for A.'s day, my gosh. I'm hopeful that it was the sound of the shotgun that spooked Belle too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm so sad for A, and Belle and the skunk. Horrible, but A. did the right thing to end it's suffering and also protect other humans and critters.

    Twenty pounds!! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

    I have no idea about the simple syrup, but fake sugar eeks me out. So does fake butter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really sorry about the skunk/Belle thing. Nothing like doing something hard but right and then feeling like even more of a monster afterwards. :(
    However that is awesome about the twenty pounds. Amazing! This weight watchers thing... I really must try it someday. Not THIS day, naturally, but some other one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just happy to see things going well...

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification. Spambots have found this little blog!